Thursday, December 29, 2005

Score Another Win for Capitalism

Proving once again The Conservative Cat's musing that Capitalism is a Force of Nature:
Because chances are, Alex Tew, a 21-year-old student from a small town in England, is cleverer than you. And he is proving it by earning a cool million dollars in four months on the Internet....

He had the brainstorm for his million dollar home page, called, logically enough, http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/, while lying in bed thinking out how he would pay for university.

The idea: turn his home page into a billboard made up of a million dots, and sell them for a dollar a dot to anyone who wants to put up their logo. A 10 by 10 dot square, roughly the size of a letter of type, costs $100....

So far they have bought up 911,800 pixels. Tew's home page now looks like an online Times Square, festooned with a multi-colored confetti of ads.

"All the money's kind of sitting in a bank account," Tew told Reuters from his home in Wiltshire, southwest England. "I've treated myself to a car. I've only just passed my driving test so I've bought myself a little black mini."

I only wish I had thought of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed