Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Logic Gap

We attended the candidates forum at the Waugh Chapel Community Center tonight in Crofton, and while all of the candidates had their say, the most lasting impression came from the final candidate, Robb Tufts, the Green Party candidate for County Council in District 7.

Tufts big issue is workforce housing and developers. See he wants to make workforce housing the number one issue for County Government. At the same time, he wants to stick developers with the bill for the 100% of all infrastructure costs from new development. But, if Tufts wants to stick it to developers, who is he going to get to build the workforce housing developments that are his top priority? There's just a gap in logic in Tufts wanting to so negatively impact the people he will need to make workforce housing more affordable.

Of course, Tufts also talked about the evils of fossil fuels and the need to make everybody use transit and alternative means of transportation, glossing over the fact that he commutes by car from Churchton to Arlington, VA on a daily basis...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you thought I made a "lasting impression" last night.

For the record, I never stated that I commute to Arlington, VA by car everyday. First, I do not work in Arlington. We have an office in Arlington, however I work on site in DC. Second, I do not drive into DC. I either take the commuter bus from Bristol or Annapolis, or I drive to a Metro station and take the Metro into DC. Third, by no means do I propose we force everyone to take public transit. My position is not that different from Boschert's position. I support creating a
Transportation Department for the county and provide shuttle services between where
people live and where people work in Anne Arundel county. I see that you didn't bother bashing Boschert for his suggestion of creating more public transit in Anne Arundel.

The Inclusionary Zoning legislation would mandate that developers build affordable housing if they are proposing a housing development over a certain number of houses.

Thank you for your coverage of the event last night.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great that you have recognized Mr. Tufts and the Green Party as formidable opponents.

I'm sure that given a longer period of time, Robb would gladly explain the intricacies of the affordable housing legislation to you and other interested parties.

One thing's for sure. This candidate is committed to using public transportation and alternate energy sources for commuting. I'm not sure where you received your information, but I know that he goes from Churchton to downtown DC via commuter bus from South County for his daily commute. And once a week he takes a commuter bus from Annapolis to New Carrollton Metro to ride into work and back for Green Party meetings.

How do I know? Because I have ridden the Metro with him for the last year or so. :)

Kelly Anderson

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed