Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Who Will Watch?

This sounds like a goofy idea:
All Democratic and Republican presidential candidates have confirmed their attendance at the two ABC News live debates in August 2007. The 90-minute forums moderated by ABC News' George Stephanopoulos with additional questioning from David Yepsen of The Des Moines Register will be held at Drake University. The Republican debate is on Sunday, August 5, 2007 and the Democratic debate is on Sunday, August 19, 2007. The debates will begin at 8am CT and air across the country as a special edition of This Week with George Stephanopoulos.
So, there are going to be two live debates, at 9 AM Eastern Time? And who exactly are the target audiences for these debates? I can't imagine it is going to be your average Iowa caucus-goer.

So....why then? What's the point?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I suppose it's only that August is part of the network television off-season that ABC is willing to give away such a big chunk of prime time.

I'm definitely interested, but not because I want to learn about the candidates (the election is a year and a half away and their positions on key issues are pretty well known, or at least googleable.) No, I just want to see who's going to swish enough three-pointers to trick people into voting for them. It's all theater to me.

Don't get me wrong, I have my favorite candidates. Although I'm not looking for a strictly populist president, I'm always willing to take the man (or woman) the people popularly elect. As easily-spun, fickle, and downright ignorant as the average voter can be, I take a lot of comfort in this system that has us making our own bed every four years. God bless democracy, and all that.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed