Tuesday, February 27, 2007

No Thanks

Board Member and former House of Delegates candidate Konrad Wayson has decided not to seek a second term on the Board. The announcement comes two days before the deadline to file as a candidate for the at-large seat with the School Board Nominating Convention.

I would love to serve on the Board of Education, and as I have noted here I sought appointment to an at-large seat in 2003. But I am not going to seek this nomination, much as I have skipped the process for an at-large seat in 2004, and for the District 31 seat in 2005. I do not see a purpose in taking the time and energy to try and convince a convention that is not receptive to my ideas and values that they should select me; particularly now with the presence of a Democratic Governor.

I wonder how many other worthy candidates for the Board of Education pass on the opportunity to seek these seats due to the byzantine selection process, or because they understand that their ideas will not jive with the people making the selection. How many of them would run for a seat if they were able to take their case directly to the voters, instead of to a convention or commission?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger David K. Kyle said...

Hmmmmmm.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed